Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo

So, I just finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas last week and that was a 2 month epic that I went through. Now to be fair, I was reading other books in between reading The Count because I wanted to keep up with my book clubs other novels. For the month of June, one of my book clubs had 3 novels to read on top of the one I read for another group I am in. And of course, the first book I read was The Red Tent which I HATED with passion and scratched and clawed my way to finish reading that book and of course I picked up an abridge edition of The Count, and my thought was "Why I will finish this in no time" which of course I found out that the book was not 400pages  but 1400! Which is fine, I mean I did read Gone With The Wind and that was about 1000 pages, so what's an extra 400? Well, mix in books and papers for school, and it just took a while. I would like to say I am so happy that I finished the book. It was awesome! Honestly, one of the best books I have read. I mean no one can write an epic novel like Dumas can. Don't get me wrong, could he have condensed the 1400 pages into 1000, sure, but I don't think it would have been nearly as complete in the detail.

The book is about revenge, which of course everyone knows about that. However, the way that he goes about plotting and executing his revenge is what makes the book so great! I haven't seen any book adaptations, but if I have learned anything, especially with the Harry Potter franchise, is that they never get everything in and what they chop out is pretty damn important. So, since this blog could be about 50 pages, I will just highlight some of my favorite parts of the novel (which there are a lot but I got some time here and I won't go over all of them). I loved when Dantes was in prison, and he meets the Abbe Faria. There interaction and the love that Dantes had for him reminded me of the relationship that Dantes would be having if he wasn't falsely accused by his supposed "friends". When Faria passed, you could feel Dantes pain.
I also enjoyed some of the irony of this novel. For example, Caderousse supposedly feels great remorse for what he thinks has happened to his friend, but he really can't prove anything because he knew he was drunk when the conversation took place between Danglars and Fernand. He even confessed to the "Abbe" that he was remorseful for what took place. However, he ends up murdering a jeweler and black mails and burglarizes. He finally repents in the end when Dantes reveals himself to him, but he dies after he repents. On the other hand, Danglars who had a hand of actually getting Dantes in prison and let Old Dantes starve to death, repented and lived.
There is also another scene of the novel, we see some remorse from Dantes, thinking that his plot of revenge might have gone too far when Madame Villefort kills not only herself but her son as well when Villefort discovers that she is the poisoner.

There is so much more I want to say but I have run out of time! Maybe I will make a follow up post on this but I just finished another book, Under the Net, which I loved as well!

Until next time, on to the next book!

No comments: