Monday, October 11, 2010

Pride and Prejudice

School is totally taking over my life. I can barely manage to finish all of my books on time with the book clubs or even update my blog. I am going to make a better effort to make sure I am updating my blog because I would hope those who are reading my blog (if there are any) will see how I felt about the books and share their thoughts!

So, I finished reading Pride and Prejudice back in August and I re-read it, (I read this book a couple of years ago). I really love this novel and I have only read 2 of Jane Austen's novel but out of the two I really love this one. My favorite characters by far are Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I love their love/hate relationship and their interactions are great. I always have to keep in mind that this is written in the 1700s, and that everyone thinks before they speak and they do not always say what is on their mind. The only person who did that was Lady Catherine, and I thought when she stopped by to see Elizabeth was great, she really gave Lizzy a piece of her mind, even though she was completely off-base. I always wanted Lizzy to just come out with what she was thinking, especially with Miss Bingley, who obviously made Lizzy's skin crawl, but she just gave a few tort remarks and that was that! She gives Mr. Darcy some great one-liners but I always wanted her to say more. However, even with my frustrations with that, I still love this novel.

The one character that really peeved me and made me want to wring her little neck was Lydia. She infuriated me to no end! As Lizzy's sibling, I really thought Lizzy would give her a piece of her mind after Lydia ran off with Mr. Wickham and Lydia came back as if nothing had happen and everyone owed her something, but she didn't! Lydia is possibly one of the most self-centered literary characters EVER! I wanted to slap her!

I can't say enough good things about this novel, I really enjoyed it!
My next blog will be on Doctor Zhivago, which I finished a few weeks ago!

On to the next 1001 book!

No comments: