Friday, January 27, 2012

Back on the Scene, Let's start with The Namesake

It has been well over a year since I've blogged. So much has gone on since I've been on last. I got a new job, will be graduating college and I have read lots more books on the 1001 Book List. Since I am not going to go all the way back on the books I've read in over a year, I will start with the last book I have just read, The Namesake by Jhumpa Lhiri. Apparently she is from Rhode Island as well so it's nice to see a Rhode Islander get some recognition.

Anywho, I just finished this book last Saturday during the snow storm and it was my day off. I read it on my Kindle, yes I know, I got a Kindle. That will be for another post on another day. Continuing on, I had started this book a couple of weeks ago but I was busy reading a whole bunch of other books that I never really got into this one but during the snow storm I decided to buckle down and finish it. I definitely struggled with trying to finish it but I did it! YAY!

So, this novel is about a family, the Ganguli's. The father, Ashoke, is a graduate student studying engineering at MIT. He has an arranged marriage with Ashima, and she moves out to Boston with her new husband. They proceed to have two children, Gogol and Sonali. The story is told in these short story forms and the time jumps. The story starts off with Ashoke and Ashima and how they were married and then it jumps to Boston and then it jumps to Gogol being born, then they buy a house. So, lots of jumping around. There is a whole back story about naming Indian children, including what is called a Good Name which involves Gogol.

It is hard to not get into specifics with this book however I will say that I am glad it was short. There were times when this book was too predictable.

It is about a foreign family growing up in America and ti was nice to get a different perspective but I did not love this book. I give it a 3 stars out of 5.

I am currently reading 1001 Arabian Nights as a inbetween but I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings will be my next blog! Very excited to start this up again. I am looking forward to a fantastic 2012!

Happy Reading!

Happy Reading!

No comments: