Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream but more like a cry for help!

This will be a English or Literature Professor's nightmare on my take of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Definitely not my favorite Shakespeare play and I think a lot of it has to do with because I never totally understood what the hell was going on. All the Shakespeare I've ever read has always been in an English class where my teacher for the most part had the competence to understand and teach us the meaning and the point of the play (well again, I don't remember too much from Hamlet, but Big Red was my teacher and anyone who has taken "Honors" English with her knows what I speak of). The version of the play that I had was published by the Royal Shakespeare Company and they did give pretty good notes but I found myself re-reading passages and trying to make sense of what was going on.

So what have I learned from this novel? That the fairies interfered with the humans? I really can't make a judgement on this novel except I need to talk to an English teacher who can walk me through it. Damn you Shakespeare!

Fortunately, I also read An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin that I think you all will enjoy. I also read One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie and I am still reading Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (I am 73% done, so almost there!) and I just started The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I have been on a British Literature kick so I will be going back to some American Literature for the time being! I will write my review of An Object of Beauty next week. In the meantime, if anyone has any insight on A Midsummer Night's Dream and would love to discuss, I would love it!

Until next time, happy reading!

No comments: