Monday, September 22, 2014

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

I would just like to say that what I wanted to write for this blog was ??? and call it a day. That is how I felt about this book. It took me two weeks to read 196 pages... and if you know me, I never take that long to read when I have the time. I read a book in between (Museum of the Missing) because I needed to clear my head of what I was reading. With that, I will try to give you some sort of review of this novel.
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce apparently "represents the transitional stage between the realism of Joyce's Dubliners and the symbolism of Ulysses, and is essential to the understanding of the later work" (from the back of the book) and apparently the main character, Stephen Dedalus shows up in Ulysses, another book that's on the list, which I have no desire to read anytime soon. The book starts with "Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy name baby tuckoo..." (Joyce, pg. 4). I should have known where this book was going. This book is suppose to be about self discovery, figuring out what is important and trying to find your place in the world. However, for me, the stream of consciousness technique coupled with the jumping of years, was very hard to keep up with it.
This stream of consciousness was more of moments of reflection, where Stephen reaches his epiphany... questioning his family, religion, faith and education. There were some parts of the novel that I found myself enjoying, but those were short lived. There was one chapter (and mind you, there are only five) which was a sermon, telling those who have committed sin to repent, or face damnation in hell. That chapter was one of the most arduous for me to read. I do not have a Catholic upbringing, nor am I very religious, so it pained me.
I don't really have much more to say on this book that would be of any intellectual value. I am sure Joyce would think of me as Lady Gaga would think of those who don't get her "art", that I don't know what good literature is. To him I say "whatever, I hated your book".
If you too want to read a book that is suppose to be about self discovery with a disjointed timeline, this book is for you!
I gave this book three out of five stars because the parts that were good, were GOOD.

Currently reading a short story, Marquis de Sade's Betrayal. My first Sade book. He has two on the list, but this one is not. I just ordered three more books, but I need a 1001 book to read next. Should I start The Forsyte Saga? The Three Musketeers? The Portrait of a Lady? I need some input!

Until next time,

happy reading!

No comments: