Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Reading for Class: Things Fall Apart and an update

I have been so busy, but I have been definitely been making some time for my reading. I still am working on the novel that is The Count of Monte Cristo and I only have 400 pages left. That's a whole other novel I could be reading! However, it really is an enjoyable novel and definitely has been one of my favorites that I have read so far. It's hard juggling that massive novel and trying to keep up with my other readings. This book is definitely taking me much longer than any other novel I have read. One of my favorite things that I love about reading is when the book completely engrosses you and you do not want to put it down and The Count of Monte Cristo has done that to me numerous times but because of work/school/other time constraints, I have to stop when I don't want to!

However this blog is not about The Count of Monte Cristo, but I figure I would update everyone on my progress because I was suppose to have finished this book June 30 as was the timeline for my book club, and I still haven't even re-read Pride and Prejudice, but I have been trekking along and trying to keep up with my other readings.

A book I have just finished was Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I actually had to read this book for my Anthropology class and the subject is based on Southern Nigeria and Igbo culture. I did not have to read this for a book club but I am glad I was reading a book that was on my 1001 Book List. I read this book as we were told to, about 50 pages a day so we could discuss it. I really enjoyed learning about the Igbo culture, but was unsettled by some of the cultural traditions of the Umuofia clan. My professor made a good point as to make us realize that this novel takes place between the years 1890-1910. Not everything is the same as it is today. The main protagonist, Okonkwo, is really a conflicted person who is fearful of becoming his father and also struggling against the new culture that the white people are bringing. Okonkwo to me really is a tragic hero, and reminds me of the greek tragic heros, ala Odepius Rex. It is an easy read and definitely enjoyable.

What is everyone else reading? I would love to hear from you guys. If anyone is out there!

Until next time...

No comments: