Thursday, May 27, 2010

Revisting Gone With The Wind

So, last night I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep and thereore I was thinking. I kept thinking about Gone With The Wind. I must admit my posting on it wasn't the best, I couldn't verbalize what I wanted to say and I think a day off from the book really got me thinking. I had mentioned in my previous blog that I really wish I could write a paper on Ashley and Rhett but I don't need to. I've had them both in my lives.

Scarlett bothered me greatly. She annoyed me,especially concerning Ashley and Rhett. I will say that there were certain points in the story that I wanted her and Ashley to be together, even after we are introduced to Rhett. However, we all know that her and Ashley were never meant to be and Rhett really was the love of her life. I totally relate to Scarlett, as much as I hate to say, I do, just as I can imagine that a lot of people have/could/do.

I had my own Ashley, back when I was in highschool. I thought I loved this guy and for a good 3 years chased him around thinking that we were going to be together "officially". I let him use me, even though I know Scarlett never really had Ashley, and got tossed around. I cried, I missed opportunities with other people because I thought I loved this guy. Last night, thinking about it, I was in love with an idea of who I thought this guy was. I never really loved him, I loved who I imagined he could be. Alas, I never really understood it until now. That's what I love about books, it gives you a sense of escapism but makes you open your eyes about your own life.

As for Rhett, he is my boyfriend. Now, my boyfriend is not a drunk or a womanizer but like Rhett, he knows exactly what I am going to say, what I am going to do and possibly knows me better than I know myself. Although I try to prove him wrong, he is usually right and he is perfect for me. I couldn't ask for a better man who takes care of his woman and loves her unconditionally.

Thank you Gone With The Wind for finally letting me shed some light on a prior relationship that went kaput, one that never was or will be. And thank you for making me appreciate my man even more.

And now I am struggling through E.M. Forester's A Passage to India. STRUGGLE!

No comments: