Wednesday, May 12, 2010

1001 Books

I decided to turn this blog into my literary journey of trying to read the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. It all started interestingly with MENSA, you know, those "wicked smhat" people who have only geniuses in their group. There was in article in Newsweek I believe (haha, yes Newsweek still has some journalistic stories) that gave the top internet sites that MENSA chose. Interested in what they heck MENSA would think were awesome sites, I saw the website www.goodreads.com, a place where you can discuss books with others and discover new ones.

I definitely needed this, let me tell you. I have been on an Agatha Christie kick for the past couple of months now, with no end in sight. I have no strayed into any other genres or authors except for Alexander McCall Smith, who writes The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.

I am so glad I have good Goodreads. Those at MENSA got it right. (Fun Fact: James Woods is part of MENSA. They've got JAMES WOODS!) Anyway, you can join groups on goodreads and I joined some awesome groups, all with different topics and one of them happens to be 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

So, here begins my journey. The first book that I read which you have until May 15th to read (you get a whole month) is The Rainbow, by D.H. Lawrence, which I have completed. I have already had some lively discussions on the book, so I will post my comments and feedback on the novel shortly, as I will do with other books that I will be reading that happen to be on the list. Other books that I am reading from other book clubs, such as The Next Best Book Club and The Victorians, also have me reading books from the 1001 Books, which is good, because I can kill two birds with one stone!

I hope by joining me on my journey, you might also be compelled to start reading some different books you never would have ever read. I am glad that I found Goodreads. I love discussing with others my point of view and I love reading awesome books!

Right now I am currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I will post a progress report shortly as well!

No comments: